How to make vegan cinnamon scrolls
Posted on Saturday, September 19 2015 by Emily-May Yeo in Food
If you’ve always thought cinnamon scrolls were difficult and fiddly to make and required way too many ingredients for your simply-stocked pantry, you should be pleasantly surprised to find out making them is actually a cinch. Emily-May Yeo walks you through the process below.
Glazed Cinnamon Scrolls
1 tsp instant yeast
1 cup soy/almond/any kind of dairy free milk
1/2 cup Nuttelex or other dairy free butter
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbs ground cinnamon
1 tbs caster sugar
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tbs dairy free milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan-forced.
- Heat 3 tbs of the butter spread and milk either in a saucepan or microwave until the butter gently melts. Make sure it doesn’t get too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Transfer the milk to a large bowl and sprinkle over the yeast. Let is sit for 10 minutes while it activates, then stir in the salt and 1 tbs of the sugar.
- Add the flour in, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. Continue adding the flour until it becomes too thick to stir. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a loose ball. Place in an oiled bowl and let it sit in a warm place for about an hour until it rises, or doubles in size.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to form a long thin rectangle then brush with the remaining butter spread, melted. Top with the cinnamon and the remaining sugar.
- Tightly roll up the dough and slice into 2 inch wide pieces. Place on a lined square baking tin and position the rolls, cut side up, in the tray. Be sure to gently pack them close together so they don’t unravel.
- Bake the scrolls in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, mix together the icing sugar and milk until a smooth icing forms. Drizzle over the cooked scrolls.